Pollution essay in English
Table of Contents
Pollution essay in English
Whatever is reflected by observing nature comes under the environment.
The English word Environment is used for environment.
Which is derived from the French word Environ which means surrounding environment.
In Hindi, environment is made up of two words – environment + cover.
Therefore, the environment is a set of conditions and substances that help in the maintenance of living beings and
which includes space, planets, stars, night and day, water, earth, air, vegetation, mountains, animals and birds, insects and winter. ,
heat etc. all things are included.
Two types of elements are present in the environment:-
1. Biological element group and,
2. Non-biological element group.
Plants, animals, humans and micro-organisms come under the group of biological elements.
Inorganic elements include sun, light, energy, temperature, air, mountains, ocean,
lake, river, underground water, soil water, soil air, metallic and non-metallic minerals, rocks etc.
In a balanced environment, all the elements are present in a certain proportion,
but when the quantity of one or more elements present in the environment increases beyond its certain proportion or toxic elements are included in the environment,
then that environment becomes fatal for the life of living beings.
This harmful change in the environment is called environmental pollution.
Pollutants are those substances which are released by humans in inappropriate quantities and at inappropriate places.
These directly or indirectly cause harm to human health and their resources.
These pollutants include sewage, smoke, sewer water, garbage, harmful gases affecting the environment
(NO₂, NO, SO2, CO, CO₂),
harmful chemical substances (chemical fertilizers, pesticides, pesticides, radioactive substances, etc.) Are.
On the basis of their origin in the environment, pollutants can be classified into the following two types –
(a) Primary pollutants –
These pollutants are released directly into the environment from an identifiable source,
such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, etc.
(b) Secondary pollutants –
These pollutants are produced due to chemical reaction with primary pollutants. For example,
peroxyacetyl nitrate (PAN) is a by-product of the photochemical reaction of fog formation.
On the basis of existence in nature, pollutants have been divided into two categories:-
(1) Quantitative pollutants –
These include such substances which are normally found in the environment but when their concentration exceeds a critical limit,
they start acting like pollutants.
Like carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide.
(2) Qualitative pollutants –
These types of pollutants are generally not present in the environment
but enter the environment through human activities, i.e. humans produce it.
Like pesticides, chemical fertilizers etc.
The main pollutants polluting air, water and land are divided into the following categories: –
|Heat (steam, hot water etc.), Sound (more than 20,000 decibels), Radiation (X-rays, ultraviolet rays, a, B, Y rays)
|Gases (NO2, NO, SO2, H2S, CO, CO₂), etc., Heavy metals (mercury, lead, zinc, nickel), Agrochemicals (fertilizers, pesticides), Radioactive waste materials (krypton, uranium)
Spore Bacteria Virus.
Kind of pollution:-
Pollution can be classified on various grounds, the main grounds of which are-
1. On the basis of environment like water pollution, air pollution and soil pollution.
2. On the basis of pollutants like noise pollution, solid waste pollution, radiation pollution, chemical pollution etc.
For convenience, pollution has been divided into the following types:
5. Nuclear pollution etc.
Harmful changes in marine ecosystems caused by the introduction of foreign substances into the ocean or It is called marine pollution.
Sources of Marine Pollution and its causes :-
1. Toxic wastes –
Many types of toxic wastes are brought to the sea shores by rivers and people which pollute the sea shores a lot.
2. Industrialization –
The water in the coastal areas is becoming poisonous due to the release of toxic chemicals from industrialization.
Today this toxic water has badly affected the marine life and has contaminated the fishes.
When such fish are used as food items.
So many diseases and physical and mental disorders arise due to it.
3. Garbage discharge from metropolitan and local establishments –
Fishing industry, tourism, transportation and waste dumping industries spread pollution in their own ways.
All the famous cities of the world are located on the sea coast.
Whose sewage flows into the oceans and spreads pollution.
4. Transportation of ships and tankers-
Transportation has polluted the sea in huge quantities.
The ocean environment has been greatly damaged due to oil spilled from ships
and tankers being wrecked, exploded and sunk in wars and beaches are also being polluted.
5. Testing of nuclear weapons in the sea-
Testing of nuclear weapons in the sea spreads radioactive material in the water and millions of marine animals die.
6. Other wastes-
Apart from the above mentioned wastes, in modern times,
the work of polluting the ocean shores is done by humans only.
Every person goes to the sea shore to enjoy nature,
but he leaves behind food waste, cans and other garbage with him,
which causes great harm to the environment of the sea shores.
For example Chowpatty of Mumbai.
Effects Of Marine Pollution
At present, due to marine pollution, many marine creatures (plants and animals)
are dying and valuable marine resources are being damaged.
Following are some important effects of marine pollution-
1. The pollutants coming along the rivers are causing the death of marine fish and other organisms.
2. Sea water is getting polluted due to the effluents of industrial institutions which are polluting the fishes and aquatic creatures,
by consuming which humans are getting affected by many diseases.
3. Leakage of petroleum oil in the sea kills many creatures including whales in large numbers;
Millions of water birds die.
4. Chemicals present in the depths of the sea are being used in the manufacture of important medicines.
Their quality is being affected by pollution.
5. Due to marine pollution, the cultivation of precious coral rocks is continuously decreasing.
Which has caused deep economic loss to the nation.
6. Due to nuclear tests, the water and organisms of many oceans have been affected by radioactivity,
which has become the cause of various types of cancer.
Marine pollution control measures
In view of the harmful effects of marine pollution,
its control is necessary.
Therefore, to stop this pollution we have to take the following important steps-
1. Rivers should be kept free from pesticides, fertilizers and industrial effluents.
2. Effluents from industries, factories and cities established on the sea shore should be discharged into the sea only after treatment.
3. Effective ways should be found to prevent serious oil spills from cargo ships and oil wells in the seas.
4. Nuclear tests should be banned.
5. Nuclear waste should be properly treated before disposing of it in the sea.
( Pollution essay in English )
( Pollution essay in English )